The league was established in 1958 as an organization formed to provide a program for the youth of the Pleasant Hill area in cooperation with the Pleasant Hill Recreation and Park District, the Mt. Diablo Unified School District and Diablo Valley College.
To encourage volunteer participation we have our League Assistance Fund Fee (LAFF) and Team Umpire Recruitment Incentive (TURI). Families who do not complete the required volunteer commitment will be required to pay a LAFF amount, separate from the annual registration fees. In addition, the TEAM will be required to pay a TURI fee in the case the 12 game umpire requirement is not fulfilled for the team.
The LAFF program requires a League Volunteer Commitment of 4 hours per child (maximum of 8 hours for two or more children per family) along with a refundable fee of $200 per child (with a maximum of $400 for two or more children). As part of Registration, all families will be required to agree to a LAFF Fee, separate from the Registration fee, for which PHBA will “HOLD” checks, cash, or credit card information for this commitment.
Following the completion of a league volunteer commitment and a signed off LAFF form (see Sign Off section below) or authorized sign-up sheet, PHBA will either clear the credit card hold from League Athletics, return or shred checks held, refund cash held, or shred or return manual credit card receipts held.
If volunteer assignments are not completed, checks held will be deposited, cash held will not be refunded, all credit cards on hold with League Athletics or any manual credit card receipts will be charged by PHBA on June 15, 2018, “NO EXCEPTIONS”. A $ 25.00 service fee will be assessed for all returned credit card charges or checks deposited.
You need to print out this form, fill it out and get it signed after full-filling your LAFF requirements. Read below for more info.
TURI - Team Umpire Recruitement Incentive
All Girls and Boys Intermediate, Pioneer, American, National, and Western teams are required to provide a volunteer team umpire or umpires to meet the team's 16-game season commitment.
As part of Registration, all families will be required to agree to a $800 TURI Fee per TEAM, separate from the Registration fee, for which PHBA will HOLD checks, cash, or credit card information for this commitment. This fee is a team fee on a per player basis to incentivize teams to provide a parent, or two parents, as the team's volunteer umpire. Releasing the hold for this fee will be dependent upon the team's volunteer umpire successfully meeting the duties, responsibilities, and deadlines established by the Chief Umpire and Umpire Leadership Team.
Opportunities for Volunteering
Team Volunteer Roles - Manager Sign-Off
(1) No scorekeepers are required for Instructional League.
(2) Scorekeeper must scorekeep every game or make sure the duties are done every game including playoffs.
(3) Home team games scorekeeper is responsible for turning in game sheets to snack shack filled out properly and check standing.
(4) Scorekeeper must check with other scorekeeper every inning.
(5) Make sure all standing and scores are recorded right and signed by both managers and umpires.
(1) Work with manager and coach on team list & e-mails, coordinate practices, handle all volunteers on team to make sure they are doing their jobs right, snack schedule for games, team meetings.
(2) Collect money from each family for team basket, names on jerseys, coaches gifts for end of season party, etc. It's usually best to collect one amount for everything and the earlier the better.
(3) Be sure to give the basket volunteer the amount they need first, so they can get the basket done, and turned in on time.
(4) League Coordinator to sign off on the LAFF
(5) Coordinate with Photo Day Person and Basket Person.
Game Day Field Prep
(1) Chalk the field for every game 30 minutes before the game.
(2) It’s important that field prep person remove base rubber indicators and put back on base pegs after game (weeknights and last weekend games only). If not, manager will be called and have to come back to field.
(3) It’s up to field prep person to put bases away and lock knack box after the game (weeknights and last weekend games only).
(4) Fill in any holes in front of the pitching rubber and in the batters box, drag or rake the in-field (if needed), install bases
(5) For Boys National and Western, water mounds and rake after every game.
(1) Includes team commitment of 12 regular season games
(2) Commitment can be split between THREE umpires (maximum) per team
(3) Mandatory attendance at classroom and Field Day clinics (1st and 2nd year volunteers) (2+ year volunteers urged to attend Field Day as refresher)
(4) Issuance of a PHBA Umpire hat and shirt(s) (Baseball and/or Softball)
(5) If plate gear bags are issued, they must be returned at end of season